It is true that there are many colleges and universities in the United States that are experimenting with scrapping the SAT test requirement altogether. However, there are still just as many if not more schools that require you to take the test, so taking it will open up many more opportunities for you as you apply to college. So, what is actually considered to be a good score?
SAT tests are scored on a scale of 400 at the lowest to 1600 at the highest. A good score would be anything in the 1300 – 1500 range. Anything below 1000 would be considered a poor score. It is important to check the requirements for the specific colleges you are applying to, as some may be more competitive than others.
Here are some tips to improve your SAT score:
- Take the Practice SAT if your school offers it to you.
- Take practice tests online.
- Reading more in general tends to improve scores in the reading section.
- Practice math subjects that you usually struggle with.
- Pay attention in school.
- Set up a practice schedule, and start preparing a few months in advance.
- Take tutoring sessions with tutors who specialize in SAT tutoring.
- Take the SAT a second time if you didn’t do great on the first one.